The 2012 Gender Reel film festival has extended its submission deadline to June 30. The festival will take place on September 7 to September 9 at the William Way Community Center in Philadelphia (1315 Spruce Street). Gender Reel is an annual event dedicated to enhancing the visibility of gender non-conforming, gender variant/queer and transgender identities. As a festival, its goal is to empower artists, filmmakers, and photographers to continue creating works that is reflective of gender non- conforming experiences and identities. To do this, it provides an accessible and embracing multi-media platform where this work can be displayed.
Organized in collaboration with Joe Ippolito (ACG ’11), the Philadelphia-based event is a full-fledged program, consisting of art, photography, film, installations, workshops, panel discussions, etc. For more information, visit Gender Reel’s website.
While Gender Reel is open to all artists and filmmakers creating work about GV/TG issues and/or experiences, it is dedicated to supporting works related to and about under-represented groups of community members. This includes, but is not limited to: People of Color, trans women, Gender Queers, HIV/AIDS, etc., Diversity and inclusion are key parts of Gender Reel’s mission and the festival is committed to making sure that it is reflective of this on all fronts.
Important instructions to know before submitting – please read through it carefully and make sure to complete all required steps:
Individuals interested in submitting work to Gender Reel can do so directly through our website at http://www.genderreelfest.com.
All correspondence should be sent to:
P.O. Box 4967
Philadelphia, PA 19119
When submitting work please remember to:
· Fill out the submission form completely.
· Filmmakers are REQUIRED to send Gender Reel a DVD copy of their film, with the name used in the submission form written on the front of the DVD in black marker.
· Artists, photographers, and media artists are REQUIRED to send in copies of photography and/or artwork if they are unable to upload them on the submission form.
· Selected work: There is a two part selection process this year. Selection Process #1: William Way Art Gallery: is located in the entry way of the WWCC. Criteria for selecting this work, is slightly different than the General Gallery and is based on a variety of logistical and artistic factors created by the WWCC and Gender Reel Organizers. Artists need to be comfortable having their work displayed for a longer duration of time. This work will be displayed from Sept 7-Oct 26. Selection Process #2: General Gallery: is located in the 2nd Floor ballroom. General Gallery work will be showcased from Sept 7-9.
Gender Reel Organizers want to emphasize that all art work, regardless of where it is featured at the festival, is of equal value and importance to Gender Reel and the William Way Community Center.
· Artists who are not local, do not plan to attend the festival, and wish to have their creative works returned to them, are expected to pay the shipment costs themselves. Special circumstances will be considered for hardship situations.
· Gender Reel, is committed to accessibility, and recognizes that mounting art in frames can be expensive. Therefore, artists/photographers are not expected to mount their work in traditional ways. Works can be mounted and/or displayed in any format provided the work can be hung in a secure fashion.
· Artwork featured in and sold through the William Way Art Gallery is subject to a 30% commission, which will be split between William Way and Gender Reel. Artwork featured in the General Gallery is subject to a 20% commission and goes back to Gender Reel, in full.