The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program has an upcoming internship deadline for their Structure and Surface: Philadelphia Textile Project on Friday, May 18 at 4 pm. The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program was recently awarded a planning grant from the Pew Center for Arts & Heritage through the Heritage Philadelphia Program to explore the public art/public history potential of research into the city’s once powerful and innovative textile industry. As part of this project, Mural Arts is pleased to invite Philadelphia-based artists/designers/makers who are able to demonstrate a commitment to investigating history through their art-making and who have a genuine interest in exploring the history of Philadelphia’s textile industry to apply for a summer 2012 artist residency. Selected artists will work with Mural Arts staff, curatorial committee and one of six local textile or textile-related manufacturers. If you have questions, please contact Judy Hellman, Director of Special Projects, City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program 215-685-0725 or email@example.com.
The end goal for each of the six artists/designers/makers selected to participate in this summer 2012 residency program will be to develop a proposal for and pilot a public art project that will reflect their experience and research, provide context for understanding of aspects of industrial, creative and social history, and demonstrate the potential and feasibility of the project for full development.
In October 2012, participating artists/designers/makers will present their project proposals before a selection committee comprised of historians, curators, educators, artists, and manufacturers. Mural Arts is committed to pursuing funds to support the full-scale production in 2014 of selected project proposals.
Selected artists/designers/makers will receive a residency fee of $3,000 and up to $800 to pilot their project idea.
Textile and textile-related manufactures participating in this residency program are still being finalized, but may include the following industries: dye, weaving, winding, fabrication, textile printing.
Application package due: Friday, May 18, 2012 at 4 p.m.
Artist/designer/maker interviews and final selection: Late May through week of June 4
Series of three workshops with residency program’s six participating artists/designers/ makers and textile and textile-related manufacturers and Structure and Surface’s Advisory Committee: Late June
Artists in residence with textile and textile-related manufacturers: July-September 2012 (specific dates and times to be determined by Mural Arts and those participating in each residency)
Presentations of project proposals: Early October 2012
Application Content and Requirements
Please submit the following materials either on CD or electronically:
1) Letter of Interest in Residency: Please explicitly reference a) history-based work and process you use for creating this work and b) background and/or specific interest in textiles and textile and/or industrial history. (2 page maximum)
2) Current resume that outlines your professional accomplishments as an artist and relevant past experience. Please include complete contact information (including mailing address, phone number, and email address). (2 page maximum)
3) Images of Past Work: Six images of recently completed work relevant to this specific opportunity. Images must be formatted as JPEG at a resolution of 150 dpi and no larger than 1.5MB per image. CD should be labeled with your name and complete contact information.
4) Image List and Description: List of submitted images that explain the projects and the images. Each image description must clearly indicate the corresponding image (labeled 1 through 6). Please include date, material and other pertinent information regarding each work.
5) Three professional references who can speak to relationship of your projects to purpose, production value, and adherence to schedule and budget. Please include complete contact information and note how each contact is related to your work. (1 page maximum)
Please note that CDs will not be returned.
Applications must be received by Mural Arts no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, May 18, 2012. This is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
Email notification of receipt will be provided once application is received. All applicants will receive email notification once the six artists/designers/makers to participate in this summer 2012 residency have been selected.
Please submit materials via mail or email to:
Director of Special Projects
The City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
1727-29 Mount Vernon Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
ATTN: Artist Residency
firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line of email stating: Artist Residency: (your last name, your first name)