One artist or group (usually up to 3 persons) from Philadelphia will be selected (by all the presenters) to participate in SCUBA’10. Two artists/groups from “sister” cities will participate in an artist residency along with the local artist in Philadelphia through Philadelphia Dance Projects, March 19 & 20, 2010. The residency activities include participating in an open community class, guest artist classes at Temple University with 2 performances at Conwell Dance Theater at Temple.
The SCUBA Touring Network for Dance, a co-operative enterprise, was founded in 2002 by Velocity Dance Center of Seattle, in conjunction with ODC Theater in San Francisco, and The Southern Theater in Minneapolis. Philadelphia Dance Projects joined the network in 2005-06. The goal of the consortium of sister cities is to support the growth and expansion of the country’s next generation of contemporary dance artists, with the intent of SCUBA to be an on-going project; one that fills the increasingly large gap between locally established and nationally recognized artists. SCUBA is supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts.
The fee for local performance is $750. The fee in sister cities is $1,500 per venue. PDP will provide touring/travel assist. (not to exceed $2,000)
Each city designs its SCUBA program differently. Some will provide housing, others won’t. There is no per diem. So artists should consider seriously the resources at hand for making this project work successfully for them. Despite this limited support, all the artists have enjoyed participating and gleaned much from SCUBA. Putting their work before different audiences, meeting artists from other cities and observing their creating and presenting “infrastructure” has been of great value.
Philly SCUBA Artists:
- 2006 Leah Stein (WOO ’02, ’99)
- 2007 Tania Isaac (ACG ’06, WOO ’02)
- 2008 Kate Watson Wallace
- 2009 Charles O. Anderson
SCUBA NATIONAL TOURING NETWORK FOR DANCE
DEADLINE: All applications must be received on or by July 8, 2009.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit 4 COPIES* of the following materials to: PDP 1427 Spruce Street, Suite 1F Phila PA 19102
- A Video (VHS or DVD) work sample is a critical element of your application. If possible submit work that could be performed as part of a SCUBA tour. Include the work in its entirety but cue it to what you believe to be the stro ngest vantage point. If this work will not be toured indicate what you propose to perform.
- A brief statement of why you would like to participate and what you think the value of SCUBA to you at this time.
- A Brief Biography
- Promotional Materials. (Be sure to include your contact information) Demonstrate your readiness to tour and interface with media and presenting organizations in other cities. If you have a web- based press kit, please include link.
*If you are selected as the Philly SCUBA artist, these materials will be submitted to all the other presenters for their selection process. Otherwise they will be returned to you.
SCUBA’10 Touring Artists will be announced August 30,2009.
Any questions please contact Terry Fox, PDP Director